Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Pancake Tuesday

"The Tuesday before Lent in the Christian calendar is a time to receive absolution of sins. So, traditionally, it's also the time to eat up any rich foods in the house before entering the 40 days of Lenten abstinence, hence the Creole-French name Mardi Gras, or "Fat Tuesday."
Foods to avoid during Lent once included flour, fats, and eggs — the three main ingredients of pancakes. In the British Isles, pancakes are still eaten with the same gusto that New Orleans residents throw into parades and King Cake."

Today is Pancake Tuesday and while I have no religious beliefs I found myself accepting an invitation to hang out with the ladies and eat pancakes for dinner. Although we generally don't need reasons to get together with friends when the opportunity presents itself you might as well take hold and embrace it. I'm sure it will be a night full of decadence and debauchery (ok, maybe not too much of that) but it will be sinfully delicious and I will probably get a lovely stomach ache from testing the many creations we make tonight.

To those of you who take pride in this day, I apologize for any offence but there should be none taken because although I'm not down with JC, I am down with maple syrup, M&M's, whipped cream and strawberry toppings... Can't we all just get along?

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

The pancakes were delicious and the mamosas, wait I mean samosas (LOL), were the icing on top!
Thanks again Alley Cat!