Sunday, January 28, 2007

Collections

Most people have something they collect, whether it is a closet fetish or a hobby everyone knows about. As most of you probably know I collect shotglasses. I don't know when I began to "officially" collect but the oldest one I have was from back in 1992, at a National bowling tournament in Winnipeg. It has Mickey Mouse on it and is more of a shot "mug" than a glass. Since then I pick up a shotglass everywhere I visit and request them from all friends and family that go to exotic or not so exotic destinations. I would love to have one from every country, state, province and unique place in the world.

My collection has grown to 104 and I think that's quite impressive (considering I don't consider myself a world traveller). Thanks to all who have contributed and thought of me on their travels. While I have some glasses from the same place every one is different and unique, and I can tell you who gave them to me and what they were doing there. Each represents a memory and a story. I have them on the wall in our dining room and I know it's getting a bit crowded but eventually Dave will build me a really cool cabinet that will do them justice.

I'm going to try and keep this an on-going post for all collectors. Post what you collect and what you have and maybe you might get some people helping to build your collection.




Alaska
Amsterdam (green)
Amsterdam (yellow)
Australia - (coloured)
Australia - Sydney
Australia (koala)
Australia (lizard)
Bahamas
Bahamas - Survivor
Bahamas (square shaped)
Bahamas (postitive vibrations)
Barbados
Belgium
Canada - AB - Banff
Canada - AB - Edmonton
Canada - AB - Jasper
Canada - AB - Lake Louise
Canada - AB - Fort McMurray
Canada - BC - Vancouver (mosquito)
Canada - MB - Winnipeg
Canada - MB - Winnipeg (Mickey Mouse)
Canada - NB
Canada - NB - Lobsters
Canada - NFLD - St. John's
Canada - NFLD - St. John's (double shooter)

Canada - NS
Canada - NS
Canada - ON - Blue Mountain
Canada - ON - Canada's Wonderland
Canada - ON - CN Tower
Canada - ON - Niagara Falls
Canada - ON - Thunder Bay
Canada - ON - Toronto
Canada - ON - Toronto Blue Jays - Rogers
Canada - QC - Montreal
Canada - QC - Quebec
Cayman Islands
Cayman Islands - Hell
Christmas
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Cuba
Dave and Jenn May 9 2005
Dominican Republic

France
France - Paris
Germany
Guatemala
Israel
Jamaica - Ocho Rios
Korea
Mexico - Acapulco
Mexico - Cozumel
New Zealand
Poland
Portugal
Princess - Caribbean
Princess - Grand
Scotland
Spain
Spain - Barcelona
Spain - Granada
Spain - Ibiza
St. Maarten
St. Thomas VI
St. Thomas VI
Switzerland
Trinidad & Tobago
UK - London
UK - London (Coat of Arms)
USA - CA - Lake Tahoe
USA - CA - Las Vegas
USA - CA - Las Vegas - Caesar's
USA - CA - Las Vegas - MGM Grand
USA - CA - San Diego
USA - DC - Hard Rock Café
USA - DC - Planet Hollywood
USA - FL - (with alligator)
USA - FL - Daytona Beach
USA - FL - Islands of Adventure
USA - FL - Universal Studios
USA - GA
USA - HI
USA - HI (lei)
USA - IL - Chicago
USA - IL - Chicago
USA - IL - Chicago
USA - IL - Chicago - "I love Jesus"
USA - IL - Chicago "House of Blues"
USA - KY
USA - LA - New Orleans
USA - MA - Boston
USA - MA - Cape Cod
USA - MI - Detroit Red Wings
USA - MI - Frankenmuth
USA - MI - Mackinac Island
USA - MI - Detroit Lions
USA - MN
USA - NY - New York - McDonand's
USA - NY - New York (just words)
USA - OH
USA - OH - Cedar Point
USA - PA - Philadelphia
USA - TN
USA - TN - Graceland
USA - TX
USA - TX (Houston Rockets)
USA - VI - Virginia Beach

5 comments:

Rob said...

I'm a beer bottle and can guy. I was much more active in my late highschool and university years, and haven't been as dedicated lately. But I still have close to 400 - including for some reason over 20 different Molson Canadian bottle and cans. And I'm always happy to take on new ones from exotic locals.

Ryan said...

Like you I also collect shot glasses, although my collection is more of a documenting of my travels. I have a few that have been given to me, but mainly they are my memories. What I do collect and encourage people to help with is beer coasters. Don't know how many I have to date, but I actually have people who mail them to me from other countries.

Jennifer said...

Seems to be a trend with the guys and drinking... Beer is a little more difficult for us since we wouldn't order it, but coasters are easy! Fun!!

Deb said...

I've got the weird collection going then -- I like to collect magnets. But like Ryan, they're more a collection documenting my travels. I have magnets on my fridge from everywhere Ryan and I have been to in the last 6 or 7 years (and I have a few going back to when I travelled alone). They bring back nice memories every time I open the fridge!

Vone said...

Rob and I started collecting Beer Cozies from where we have traveled too. It's a little harder to find and it's just from trips we've been together so the collection is not too big yet.