Saturday, May 26, 2007

Reality Bites

Another season has come and gone with a few of my favourite reality shows. Okay, not necessarily my favourites as I think some of them have run their course and should be put up on the shelf with "Who Wants to Marry My Dad" and "Apprentice", left to get dusty and yellow around the edges. But, I'm a sucker for most of them and I watch them because I enjoy the drama and the terribleness of most of them.

Apprentice ended quite a while ago (thank god). I've heard rumours Trump is not getting another deal...that's too bad, I thought maybe the next season could be everyone living in a trailer park no matter if you win or lose. Boise, Idaho would also be a great location. I didn't really care for any of the three finalists but it was interesting to see they were all from the original team that lost week after week. I think he made the right choice (I can't even remember her name because she played in the shadows) but James was just super annoying and so was Nicole, especially with her love of Tim.

The Amazing Race: All-Stars also ended some time ago. While I was hoping the blondes would be standing first on the podium, again I was disappointed. The ladies did definitely represent as 5 of the 6 finalists were women. I'm glad Mirna and Shmirna were the last to waddle in and while I thought Eric and Danielle were annoying beyond belief, they played an okay game. The last leg seemed a little easy and I didn't like that it was one that came down to time and the run wasn't much to Phil but what can you do? I wouldn't consider the game All-Stars but it was decent and I enjoyed it. Now let Canadians play so I can have my shot!

Survivor ended a few weeks ago and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the final episode. Yau-Man was the man and I really wanted him to go all the way but we had to know his deal with Dreamz was going to come back to haunt him. At least the haunting of the car still looms and neither winner of the car won the game. Final tribal council shed images of the first Survivor with Susan...it was great and I loved some of the questions. Alex, filling his lawyer boots and Lise sticking to her white trash routes...it was classic! Cassanda and Dreamz had no chance so I was glad to see the black man win...wait, they were all black - that must have been a first. Go Earl Go!!! He played a strong game and deserved to be in the end, let alone the winner!

America's Next Top Model - now this finale was a little disappointing. With only being an hour they had a lot of stuff to cover but on the other hand it was nice not to see everything dragged on and a bunch of bullshit fills involved. I was hoping for Renee but in the end ANTM got their first ever latina-winner, not to mention someone who was part-deaf (okay, so it took me a few weeks to figure out that's just the way she talked and wasn't doing a Marlee Matlin) and part-drag queen. It's too bad that Renee had solid pictures throughout, won a ton of rewards and yet she is too-old looking, what a criticism for a 20yr. old. I'm sure it will help all those teens out there that are dying to make it in the modelling world to go out and get new noses and eye lifts to help keep them young way into their 20's.

American Idol ended on Wednesday. While this is one of those shows that I don't enjoy all that much, I watch it because it's on. However, from the start Jordin and Blake (best performance of the season by anyone) were my two favourites and I think they both have potential so I was happy to see them in the finale. I am very happy for Jordin and hope she doesn't get swept up in the drama and actually makes a name for herself. While Blake was my favourite hands-down and was actually incredibly happy he didn't win. Just like Chris Daughtry, he now has the chance to do his own thing, and I think it's going to be beat-boxing great.

The Bachelor ended on Monday. I don't know why I watch these shows, I never feel the love anymore...Trista and Ryan was the last one where you knew the connection and knew that it was legitimate and real, despite the fantasy world they were living in. Again, I was hoping for Bevin, eventhough she looks like a troll/chihuahua mix. I don't really understand why Danielle made it anyway near the final three and it was a little shocking considering they hardly had any intimate or one-on-one moments. Tessa is the big winner - she plans on moving to Hawaii in the next few months but no plans for marriage...baby steps. I hope it works out but the odds are against them. Bring on The Bachelorette - let's get some more men in on the action.

Just a quick recap for the books... I'm hoping for a summer of Big Brother and Rock Star but I'm thinking I'll only be batting .500. At least Big Brother gives us three nights of pure enjoyment a week. What more can I really ask for?

Big Brother
July 5, 2007
8:00pm on CBS

No comments: