Thursday, August 30, 2007

Diamonds are Forever...

And a rare achivement these days. Last weekend Dave and I headed to Waterloo for a much anticipated 60th Anniversary party for my grandparents. Their anniversary is actually today but we thought celebrating the weekend before the long weekend was a better idea.


My parents and I have been planning this party since the beginning of the year, at first it was going to be at my parents house and in their backyard but after much discussion my grandpa decided it wanted something more formal...that's what it became very similar to a wedding reception.

The hall was at a senior's residence and it was beautiful. The food was amazing and the caterers and bartenders were very nice. Approximately 80 guests attended including family and friends from all over Canada (Nova Scotia, Thunder Bay, Yukon...). The party started at 5pm and didn't end until 9pm (later than we had expected given the majority of people were over 70). The first hour was meet and greet (of course the bar was open). My dad and I put together a DVD of pictures I had asked the guests to send me that played throughout the whole reception and music played from the 30's and 40's.

I had the honour of being the Emcee...my first time. I was a little nervous but all went well - I was a natural (as you could imagine!). I said my spiel before and after dinner...prepared a speech, passed the mic to my dad, then to my grandma and then to my grandpa. All speeches were short but sweet.

My grandparents are the most amazing people I have ever met - they have stuck together through thick and thin and are an inspiration to many. They have had a life any of us would be happy to lead and they are still going strong. They may be 87 and 92 but I hope to share many more milestones with them and all be around for all of the small things inbetween.
Cheers to love and laughter and happily ever after.

No comments: