Thursday, September 20, 2007

Niagara Falls = Baseball...

They go hand in hand...

When I was younger I played competitive fastball for many, many years. Every year we would have a tournament in Niagara Falls called "The Teddy Bear Tournament" - it was a great tournament and solid competition, especially because many teams would come from the States to play. But the most fun was staying at the top of Clifton Hill, at the Oasis Hotel and hanging out after the games with the team and parents. Yes, we got ourselves into trouble but it was all good fun and was a highlight of the season.

Whenever I think of Niagara Falls I think of the good times we had there - checking out the falls, going to Nightmares and Ripley's Moving Theatre, drinking at Rumours Night Club and having a strange guy give us free shots at a shady pub north of the strip. But, I also think of baseball and this weekend I am returning.

No, it's not going to be the same - we are older, more mature and wiser...okay, who am I kidding? Yes, it's going to be practically the same...playing baseball, checking out the falls, going to Nightmares and hopefully Ripley's Moving Theater, having drinks (many more drinks), maybe meeting strange men and doing body shots...toilet papering the other teams cars...you get the drift.

I've wanted to play in Provincials since I started playing slo-pitch and now the time has finally come. It may not be my regular team (I'm just a spare that they want to play as much as possible) but I am on the roster and I am really looking forward to it.

Cheers,
Jenn

No comments: