Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Injured by Rudeness

Last Monday morning (one of the first bad days we have had) I was casually walking across the street after getting off the subway when a woman in a hurry pushed me and I fell to the ground (not being prepared for a shove to the back). Looking at my thumb I knew it had jammed and since the swelling didn't go away I had to get x-rays and am now visiting the chiropractor regularly for ultrasound and lasering. It's not broken and they're calling it a "sprained strain" but I have it in a beautiful black splint and can't use my thumb at all which makes many easy tasks rather annoying and sometimes daunting. So, to the woman who pushed me while trying to catch the bus on the other side - I hope you're happy and I hope you got to where you were going in such a rush on time.

It leads me to question the moral standards that our society lives by today. One too many times have I seen young people turn their heads on the TTC as an elderly walks on so they don't have to offer their seat, hardly anyone ever says thank you for holding the door anymore, and the kids in high school - well, I don't even know where to begin. It's bad enough the schools don't teach grammar like they did when our parents were younger but now a large chunk of society can neither talk nor walk like decent human beings. What is the world coming to?

1 comment:

Deb said...

Sorry to hear about your thumb.

Just wanted to agree with you about people on the TTC. When I was very pregnant, I would get on the subway or bus and people in seats would actually look at me and look away quickly so that they wouldn't have to get up and offer me their seat. Not everyone, there were always the curteous ones, but I saw the rude ones more often.