Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Home Sweet Home...

It's been a while since my last post and it isn't because I've been lazy or can't think of anything to write about...well, maybe that is the reason but we have been busy.

This past weekend we were in London and was probably the last time in my childhood home. My parents are moving at the end of the month...a long over due move in my opinion but at least it's really happening. As D and I were pulling out of the driveway Sunday morning I didn't even think to say goodbye...then half way to the Loo I remembered that was it. I'm not sure what I would have done - maybe took one last good look at everything, trying to remember everything as it was. We all have a lot of memories of where we grew up like "first times" and holidays, visiting with friends and family and parties etc. I started thinking about the smaller things, the unsequential moments I remember that have always stuck with me (below are just a few):

  • Running around the dining room table at bedtime with a blanket in my hand and my thumb in my mouth because I didn't want to go to sleep - giggling as my parents would give up on the charade and finally corner me
  • My dad pumping the vinyls on our awesomely loud stereo system - sitting in the rec room just listening to the sounds of Star Wars, Beethoven and rock classics like Supertramp and Cream.
  • Hanging upside down on our rusty swing set when I was about 12 and getting a large piece of rust in my eye - crying while my dad used the tweezers to remove it.
  • Like Dawson, often we would walk to the creek...enjoy the scenery and on the way home stop for a popsicle at the local variety store.
  • The "cat-astrophe" when I was in my early 20's (we won't get into that) but it is definitely a great story for another time.

One day in the future I'll drive by but I won't go up to a window or stroll through the backyard. I want to remember home the way it was, the vision I have in my mind. I can only hope that the new children that grow up there have as great a time as I did.

Home will always be where your family is...and that can take you many places. Home is in the Loo, and at grandma's, Toronto, and now in Thunder Bay. D and I have made a place for ourselves and although it might not be big or extravagant and eventhough we don't own it, it's still ours and it is definitely still home sweet home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.