Friday, August 24, 2007

Lions, Tigers and Bears...

Oh my!


Well there weren't lions or tigers but Hunter had a premonition that we would see large animals, probably a moose or bear...and that didn't happen either (thank goodness!).

Last weekend (we had Friday off) Dave and I headed to Algonquin with our friends Hunter and Jenny. It was my first time camping in the wilderness and I have to say that it was what I expected and I could do it again (but once or twice a year would be plenty).

We parked the car at about 12pm, picked up our canoes and loaded everything on - the sun was shining and it was getting warmer - a beautiful day ahead. We had to get through two portages and three lakes...by the time we got on the 2nd lake it started to rain, the sky turned grey and thunder and lightning could be seen/heard in the distance. We made it to our lake, picked a site (which was beautiful) and got the tarp up and a fire started. It rained most of the day until the late evening...sitting there damp and cold, able to set the tent up at about 11pm at night. What was I getting myself into?

Saturday was much nicer...still not t-shirt and short weather though - actually I had on four layers to be exact. We just hung around the site chatting and later Jenny and I went for a few hikes on the trails. We met Ranger Roy who the boys had a coffee with while he cleaned up our fire pot and moved our boom box to a fresh spot (thanks!). Hunter had all of the camping necessities and the little extras you sometimes don't think about!

Sunday was the best day of the weekend...of course! We had breakfast, packed everything up and headed back onto the open water for the trek home. As we were leaving there was a car in the ditch so the boys pulled him out with Hunter's truck and we continued on our merry way. A good deed is always a nice way to end a great weekend. But what's even better is getting stuck on the already cottage congested 400 because of a two lane closure - we came to a 45min complete stop but managed to make it home by 8:30pm.

Short and sweet - I could have talked about all of the laughs and details of what we did but you get the jist. We'll do it again next year and then I won't be the rookie!

No comments: