Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Cubicle Christmas...

'Tis the season for parties, getting together with friends and family, and silly drunkeness with co-workers. Usually the calendar has filled up by now with random work engagements and especially with all of the Agencies we work with (at least 7 major ones) but we've only seen one invitation come through so far and I have already declined...and I feel good about that.

Last Tuesday we had our CM&C holiday party which is Corporate Marketing and Convergence (all of the Marcom groups including Wireless and Sponsorships etc...). It's about a group of 80 and this year we were invited to a murder mystery at Vaughn Estates. A very nice location and free drinks with a fantastic dessert bar...what more could one ask for? The mystery was hosted of course and we spend most of the evening sitting at our respective tables listening to the "guests" aboard the SS Minnow try to figure out who killed the Captain. We had Mrs. Thom sitting with us (she was always a bit typsy) and I was able to figure out the killer which is great but the event didn't leave time for mingling or just casual conversation which was kind of crappy. Luckily, my name was drawn and I won a $50 GC to the LCBO...the next draw was for a $300 GC to Holt's but I'll take my booze and run.

Last night was our RHP Christmas party at our director's house. We have officially had a re-org and three of our team have branched out and although it has only been a few weeks since this happened it definitely feels different and it was great to have everyone back together again for one last hoorah. There was a lot of baby talk as one of our agency partners (the only outside person invited) is due in 3 weeks and there are 6 others (on our team of 10) with children or babies on the way...too much baby talk for me but somewhat fun to listen to as well. We had a secret santa/gift stealing event and I stole these cute little christmas jewel boxes and a lovely picture frame from my new manager...good times!!

Usually we would have an RHP party but with the re-org and RHP being no longer that's another one shot down. We were all looking forward to a repeat of last year or something similar - hanging out in a box at a Leafs game, all you can eat and drink followed with a portable DVD player and lovely fleece jacket. Ah well...there's a new regime now!

This past Monday we did have a cubicle Christmas and that was a lot of fun. There are 5 of us that sit in an area together and we took the latter part of the afternoon to listen to xmas music, drink egg nog, eat yummy treats and decorate our cubes. It's amazing what a little garland, lights and mini trees will do to an area. Did I mention that I created a fantastic village out of Swiss Chalet chalet's, complete with people, trees and snow?! To top it off we're heading to the Keg Mansion on the 21st for our cube buddy holiday lunch.

Most of us are still waiting for a few more Agency invitations but looking at the calendar I just don't have the time... And, these parties definitely don't compete with Gregger's "let's go to the falls in a limo, have lot's of tasty bevvies, gamble the night away and come out on top because I didn't open my own wallet" Christmas party but I guess that's the difference between companies with under 40 employees and those with over 20,000. And no, I'm not complaining - I don't mind, really, I don't.

No comments: